My Appointment With Fashion

“You know what you don’t see anymore, Judy?  People wearing capes.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Capes.”

“Capes?”

He nodded.

“Like Superman?”

He shrugged, “Sure.”  Scruntching his face and tilting his head to the side, he added “Sort of.”

“I imagine you see plenty of them at Comic Con and Cosplay events.”  I snapped my fingers.  “Oh, and at Halloween.  Vampires are big on capes.”

He shook his head.  “I’m talking mainstream.  You know, a nice fur-lined opera cape, or a hunting cape.”

Before I could stop myself, I said, “They don’t seem practical for hunting.  Buttoned coats and zippered jackets do a better job keeping out the cold.”

“They do, but they don’t have the style or the panache of a cape.”  He waved his hand as if tossing an imaginary cape over his shoulder.  I wondered if he was picturing a sword strapped to his hip.

“If you feel so strongly, why don’t you bring them back?”

“You mean have a cape made and wear it to work, or out to eat.”

“Exactly.”

“I’ll be the only one.”

“Have extra ones made, and gift them to friends.  They will feel obligated to wear them and might find they like the style.  And you never know who will see them and think, ‘that’s for me.’  You could start a trend.”

“That’s a great idea!”  He patted my shoulder enthusiastically.  “I’m going to do it.”  He pulled out his cell and started typing.

“I don’t mean to be rude, but can’t you do that later?”

He held up a finger and continued typing with his other hand.  “Just setting a reminder.”

“Doctor, can we get on with the exam?”

He looked at me, half-naked and supine with my feet up.  “Oh, sorry.”

I really needed to find a new gynecologist.

12 comments for “My Appointment With Fashion

1. March 31, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Don’t say that this really happened? Don’t get rid of such a doctor entirely – he seems like a font of storytelling materials.
    BTW, I’m a riding hood kinda gal myself.

• March 31, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Lol! No, this didn’t happy. My daughter keeps talking about caps, and the story sort of wrote itself. My son did have a neurologist who would reference Hippocrates all of the time. I swore if he pulled out urine beakers and quoted Galen I would leave.

• March 31, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Now that would’ve been an experience to recount through the ages!

2. April 4, 2017 at 3:42 pm

This is a lovely little story, well-observed and witty, with a great twist, totally unexpected! Come to think of it, I don’t think I have a cape myself. Guess I’d better mosey on down to the cape shop… 😀

• April 5, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Lol! Thank you. A cape is appropriate for all occasions!

3. April 15, 2017 at 12:58 am

While reading, I did wonder if this was a real story. That would have been hilarious but not a deal breaker.
    I’m new to your blog and just subscribed.

• April 16, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Thanks! The piece was inspired by a conversation that I had with my daughter. I thought it would be funny in a different situation.

4. April 17, 2017 at 4:10 pm

LOL, I love the twist at the end…And I love capes, though they are terribly hard to wear when getting in and out of cars. They worked much better on horseback where you could swing them out behind you. Or I suppose they’d be no problem if you were flying, like a super hero. But I suspect the car thing is a big part of why they don’t make a comeback in the general waves of fashion. What a bummer.

• April 17, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Thanks! Maybe they’ll see a comeback in evening wear? Nothing is more dramatic. My bil has a friend who sings opera and wears one – it’s hip length, so not too bad.

• April 17, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Evening wear or costumes are generally impractical by definition, so yes, I think capes work well for either, and they have made a comeback to some extent in the past award season. There was a modified built in structured shoulder sleeve cape that a couple of the stars wore. Love it!

5. May 8, 2017 at 1:39 pm

LOL Indeed, you might want to find another gynecologist lol

• May 15, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Lol! That would be necessary.