Throwback Thursday: In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month

As most of you know, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April of 2016.  It’s been a long journey.  As October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I thought I would post a few pictures from the last year.

InstagramCapture_5d356d85-b2df-4ccb-a14b-4030678562b3

October 16, 2016. Rocking the bald look with my handsome nephews (I know, I look too young to have grown men as nephews). This was the day after my niece’s wedding. I was still receiving chemotherapy.

Please, don’t skip your annual mammograms.  My cancer was too small to be detected in the monthly exams I gave myself.  Even my doctor was unable to feel the lump.  If it wasn’t for my mammogram, I wouldn’t have known I had cancer.  In 2015, my mammogram was normal.  In 2016, I had Stage 2 breast cancer.  I don’t want to think about what it could have happened if I decided to skip the 2016 exam.

V__F281

December, 2016. There I am at a family Christmas party with my sweet son. I was still receiving radiation, but chemotherapy had ended in December. What’s that on my head????

Mammograms are not fun.  They’re not just uncomfortable, they hurt.  Cancer kills.  The choice is easy.

IMG_2200

August, 2017. Well, now everyone knows my natural hair color. All I have to say to women worried about loosing their hair: it grows back.

Breast Cancer Fact Sheet

I’d like to thank my family (especially my husband and children) for taking care of me.  I’m sorry you had to go through all of this.  I’d also like to thank my friends for their support.  For those of you – my family and friends – who have walked for me, thank you.

E51D3682-C726-4623-A824-664682DEAE58

October, 2017. One my way to my nephew’s wedding. It’s one year from my niece’s wedding. It think it’s time for a haircut!

13 comments for “Throwback Thursday: In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month

1. Karen
    October 26, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Always thinking of you – you are an amazing woman. ❤️

2. October 26, 2017 at 6:48 pm

You are a strong woman, keep it up.
    I may not know you personally, but I feel like you are a lovely lady and such quality would draw people to you.

Kind regards,
    Doni

3. October 26, 2017 at 7:20 pm

1. You really did rock the bald look;
    2. I already knew you look good in plum (?) from seeing that photo before so who cares if you have newly grown hair;
    3. You obviously also look good in blue and am waiting for to see the new haircut; finally,
    4. Respect to your resilience!

• October 27, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Thanks, on all points! I thought loosing my hair would bother me, but it was the least of my worries. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of things you need to consider when you’re bald (you always need to wear a hat outdoors, and any breeze makes you feel cold). Now to make an appointment at the salon! Xo

• October 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Well, it all must make the anticipation sweeter. Good luck!

4. October 27, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Enjoy the pampering of your first trip back to the salon! Thanks for the reminder not to skip that painful process of a mammogram each year…so tempting to just forget about it. I’m glad you’ve come through your treatment journey with a vibrant smile and gratitude. Such an encouraging post!

• October 27, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Thank you! I really need to find the right salon for this, don’t I?

• October 27, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Yes, find a salon that will spoil you rotten! By the way, I like your hairstyle in the photo, but I suppose a trim is always good. I need to make an appointment for that myself. 🙂

5. October 30, 2017 at 6:39 am

What a great message! And I really like that photo of you with your nephews. I hope you enjoy a well deserved spa day.

6. October 30, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Congratulations on being a survivor, my dear! I hope you feel as amazing as you look 😉

7. November 9, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Jo, I made a post featuring your epic comment! 😀
    See the post here 🙂
    Was not sure if you saw it 😛