Jo Ann’s Gems: Unsolicited Advice #6

Never take the top plate at a buffet.Β  Trust me on this.

IMG_4116

This is a reenactment of something I saw at my favorite Indian buffet. The gentleman in question took a plate and then leaned on the stack of plates. He kept rubbing his nose and resting on the plate. Was he the type to wash his hands after using the bathroom? I don’t know, but it was a risk I was not willing to take. I will never take the top plate.

10 comments for “Jo Ann’s Gems: Unsolicited Advice #6

1. February 7, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Yuck! Never again! Thank you for opening my eyes.

• jrusoloward
      February 7, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Same here!

2. February 7, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Gack! No, i don’t either. Neither do i rake the magazine or book at the front or top the stack in a bookstore, or the first item in the row on a grocery store shelf! Ever! I’ve seen things. And no, this guy was likely not the type to wash his hands after a restroom trip. Ewwwww.

• jrusoloward
      February 7, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Exactly! I’m the same way about those things.

I have no idea where his hands were, but, considering he was leaning on the plates I can only assume he wasn’t big on hygiene (funny tidbit, I had my son pose for the picture on the blog – ever since he was a toddler, he would call people out for not washing their hands in public restrooms). I will not touch things at the salad counter in the supermarket and have trouble with buffets in general.

• February 7, 2018 at 9:29 pm

I can’t remember the last time i went to a buffet. I’ve seen too many people try to lean UNDER the glass to more easily scoop out food. Gross. That’s funny that your son noticed when others didn’t wash. Good for him! πŸ™‚

• jrusoloward
        February 9, 2018 at 10:21 am

He’s also the same person who drags me to buffets. I’m hoping he grows out of them soon.

3. February 7, 2018 at 9:37 pm

lol – related, but not…Oprah once showed how we SHOULD use the first bathroom stall, though. It’s the cleanest because everyone avoids it πŸ˜‰

• jrusoloward
      February 9, 2018 at 10:20 am

I remember being told something like that in grade school, as well. If Oprah said it recently, I wonder if it stills applies The world watched Oprah.

4. February 7, 2018 at 10:53 pm

As a hotelier, for years, I watched guests at events pick up the top plate only to replace it after picking up the second one. Even though the dispenser is a steam compartment. Until the servers eventually come out and replenish the stack with a bunch of new plates above that top plate. Poor plate, must be a sad existence to be thus rejected.

• jrusoloward
      February 9, 2018 at 10:19 am

Lol! It must be a sad existence, indeed!

I usually watch how the piles are stacked at buffets. There are two or three. The ones in the back are never moved to the front, so those are the safe bet (this way you don’t accidentally get the one that was once on top and touched).

I dislike buffets in general.