Dreams

People have been sharing their dreams.  On WordPress, on Facebook, in person.

I’m fascinated by the inspiring dreams my friends have.  I’ve had people share how they’ve written poems or stories after waking from a dream.  At the very least, they have these epic – and hilarious stories – to tell.

I dream all the time, but my dreams are not the type that get the creative juices flowing.  They are random, bizarre, and eccentric.  Then again, I, and my life, can be random, bizarre and eccentric.

Just last night, I had a very vivid dream.  I was bathing alone in a large bathhouse.  It was like something the Romans would have built.  Large, and sunny with mosaics on the walls, marble seating, and doors leading to different rooms.

It was peaceful and relaxing.

And then the squirrels came.  First, there were a few squirrels at one of the chamber doors.

I couldn’t relax with their beady eyes staring at me.  I wasn’t sure if squirrels could swim, but I couldn’t chance it.  I scared them away.

Proud of myself, and, alone again, I settled back down to enjoy my bath.  That was when the flying squirrel entered the scene.  It came from above and started dive bombing me.  While I was screaming and swatting at it, one of the other squirrels wrapped itself around my neck.

I could feel the fur as I struggled unsuccessfully to pull it off, all the time calling for my husband to help me.

No one came.

My dream didn’t even feature a handsome knight in shining armor (or not, I mean, it was set in a bathhouse and I am of legal age) coming to my rescue.

My alarm went off and woke me, thus, saving me from Watership Down, squirrel edition.

I’d like to say that this dream is unusual and that  I don’t normally dream of rodent attacks.  But we all know better.

I’m the woman who dreams of bathing with and battling squirrels.

Maybe I should start eating before bedtime?

10 comments for “Dreams

1. February 13, 2018 at 7:14 pm

That’s a pretty vivid and interesting dream. Thanks for sharing it.

I had a dream about a squirrel last night too. Naybe it’s something contagious going around on wordpress? Lol. I dreamed i heard scratching noises coming from the inside of a closet. I opened the door to check it out and a squirrel lunged from a hanger to my throat. Then i woke up. I’ve no idea how it would have turned out…

• jrusoloward
      February 17, 2018 at 1:37 pm

What is going on, with squirrels? So far, I’m not liking what those dreams are supposed to mean.

2. February 14, 2018 at 6:04 am

That is a bizzare dream. My mom used to have bathing dreams all the time so I know from her that, in Islam, dreaming of bathing means your sins are washing away. I used to joke about what she thinks these sins of hers are, to which she didn’t take very well – go figure. But hey! If that interpretation is true, it means you’re as lucky as her. Didn’t know what the hell dreaming squirrels mean (I supposed only people in comedies and other squirrels dream about them) so I looked it up for the heck of it and I’m afraid it’s bad business, my friend. There’s someone very “iniquitous” in your life now – guess someone is going to slice the pie unevenly. I know I hate that. For one, I’m a bit OCD and for another I’m really into justice. Good luck and kick butt!

• jrusoloward
      February 17, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Thanks! I may need it if the squirrels are a bad omen. I like the Islamic interpretation of bathing in one’s dreams. The washing away of sin is goodt. Especially as this is the time of the year in the Catholic church that’s full of atonement and penance.

• February 17, 2018 at 8:01 pm

That’s right, the Lenten season has just commenced. Well, there you go. You were probably subconsciously preparing for this journey. Happy and Successful Lent, dear!

3. February 14, 2018 at 6:27 am

What a cool dream! Thanks for sharing! Whatever the dream, I would say it was good if it gave you a story to tell when you woke.

Did you ever read the news story about the woman who trained squirrels to attack her ex boyfriend?

• jrusoloward
      February 17, 2018 at 1:33 pm

No, I didn’t. I know what I’m going to be googling this afternoon!

• February 19, 2018 at 7:58 am

I just googled it too and found out it was a hoax. Well, it was still horribly hilarious.

4. February 14, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Very interesting dream! Mine are generally bizarre and seem to go on all night to me.

Completely random and in no way professional or sure interpretation possibility: I like the setting of your dream and the fact you were relaxing and taking care of yourself. That and the surrounding passages to other rooms (other parts of your life) made total sense. The squirrels indeed seemed random, so curious me checked out the symbolic dream meaning: To see a squirrel in your dream suggests that you are hoarding something. … On the other hand, a squirrel may also mean that you need to reserve your time and energy. Alternatively, a squirrel indicates that you are pursuing empty and fruitless endeavors.
    Only you can ever interpret your dreams well, since you’ll know what resonates, but the reserving of your time and energy/fruitless endeavors symbol seems like it could make sense with the relaxed/taking care of yourself bathing room symbol. The squirrels were perhaps all the things that are trying to pull you away from your inner sanctum of peace and self-care?
    There’s my random thought for the day. Have fun in your dreams! -Sheri

• jrusoloward
      February 17, 2018 at 1:27 pm

Wow, Sheri! I’m going to have to sit back and do some internal soul searching. I didn’t realize squirrels could have so many deep meanings. To be honest, I can’t stop giggling now because I’m reminded of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. Ray’s brother Robert is getting married and his future brother-in-law (played by Chris Elliot) is trying to sabotoge the wedding. Robert discribes his as having “squirrels juggling knives” in his head.